Palyada Pudi or the spice mix for Stir fried vegetables.
- Thick bottomed pan
- 2 Medium Sized Bowls
- Air tight jar
- Coffee Blender
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds Kottambari Beeja in Kannada or Dhania in Hindi.
- 1.5 tbsp Chana Dal A type of Indian lentil. Kadale Bele in Kannada
- ½ tbsp Urad Dal A type of Indian lentil. Uddina Bele in Kannada
- 1 tbsp Peanuts Kadale Kayi in Kannada
- 8 piece Whole Red Chillies Prefer Byadagi Chillies(For colour) mixed with Guntur(for heat). Or you can also use any dry whole red chillies you can find locally.
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds Jeerige in Kannada or Jeera in Hindi
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds Menthyada beeja in Kannada and Methi ke dane in Hindi.
- 3-4 piece Dry curry leaves Karibevu Soppu in kannada or kadi Patta in Hindi.
- 3 tbsp Coconut Powder Ona Kobbari in Kannada.
- 1 tbsp Refined oil
- Add the lentils in to a thick bottomed pan with a table spoon of oil on a low medium flame, enough to roast the spices slowly..
- Roast the lentils till they turn golden brown. Add the rest of the spices except, the coconut power. Roast till you smell the pungent heat of the chillies.
- Now add the coconut powder and roast till the coconut powder turn golden brown.
- Switch off the heat, pour the spices onto a medium sized bowl and let it cool.
- Once it is cool, blend the roasted spices in the coffee blender and use it to make a Palya. Or transfer it into an air tight jar for later use.
- You have your Palyada Pudi!
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn How it Works!
WHY SOUTH INDIAN?
South India is home to millions of people who have been vegetarians for more than 2000 years. I want to bring the richness of that to your kitchens and hope it makes you as happy as I am.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
While primary intention is to teach, websites, hosting a class all takes money. So I, along with the hosts have tried to keep the costs at a minimum. You can get the details by emailing me at email@example.com.
HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU?
If you want me to conduct a class for you, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the details and will get back to you.
Who is this for?
You’re Not Alone. And I’m Here to Help!
This is class is primarily for those who already are vegetarian or want to adopt that lifestyle. Very few other cuisines offer the kind of diversity that a South Indian Vegetarian kitchen does and I want to bring that to those who are passionate about being vegetarian and help enrich their lives.
This is of course not to discourage anyone who wants to expand their options to include vegetarian food without giving up meat. I respect it, is your choice.
The most important thing I am expecting from you is that you try out what I teach in your homes and share it with the community here.
Let us learn, get in touch!
If you have the passion for vegetarian food, I am here to teach you how to bring in South Indian Vegetarian into your life and home.