Lemon Rice or Nimbe Hannina Chitra Anna
- Thick bottomed pan
- Stainless Steel Ladle
- Cutting Board
- 10 gram Black Mustard Seeds Sasive Kalu in Kannada
- 5 gram Asafoetida Hing in Kannada
- 50 gram Cashew nuts Godambi in Kannada
- 5 piece Curry leaves
- 20 gram Coconut, desiccated
- 1000 gram Steamed Rice See the Anna recipe:
- 1 piece Lemon Nimbe Hannu in Kannada
- 10 gram Urad Dal A type of Indian Lentil. Uddina Bele in Kannada
- 2 tbsp Refined Oil Prefer Peanut oil if you can find it.
- 3 piece Green Chillies
- 10 gram Chana Dal A type of Indian Lentil. Kadale Bele in Kannada
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder Arishina in Kannada and Haldi in Hindi.
Cut the vegetables
- Dice the green chillies in fine, small pieces. Do not throw away the seeds. Keep them.
- Add hot water to the desiccated coconut and keep aside.
Make the Lemon Rice
- Keep the pan on a medium flame. Add 1 table spoon of oil. Let the oil heat up.
- To the hot oil add the mustard seeds, let it splutter. Add hing. Roast for 5 more seconds.
- Add the lentils and cashew nuts, then fry them till they are golden brown on a low medium heat. Do not keep the heat high as it will burn the spices and they will remain uncooked inside. Better slow and well roasted.
- Now add turmeric powder and green chillies and mix well.
- Add the steam rice by hand, a handful each time. Use your fingers to separate each grain of rice from the others mimicking a sprinkling action.
- Mildly squeeze the water from the coconut and add it to the mix. Mix the rice and the spices well.
- Cut the lemon and squeeze its juice onto the rice mix.
- If you prefer, you can garnish it with some chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- There you have your Lemon Rice! Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn How it Works!
WHY SOUTH INDIAN?
South India is home to millions of people who have been vegetarians for more than 2000 years. I want to bring the richness of that to your kitchens and hope it makes you as happy as I am.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
While primary intention is to teach, websites, hosting a class all takes money. So I, along with the hosts have tried to keep the costs at a minimum. You can get the details by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU?
If you want me to conduct a class for you, please email me at email@example.com with the details and will get back to you.
Who is this for?
You’re Not Alone. And I’m Here to Help!
This is class is primarily for those who already are vegetarian or want to adopt that lifestyle. Very few other cuisines offer the kind of diversity that a South Indian Vegetarian kitchen does and I want to bring that to those who are passionate about being vegetarian and help enrich their lives.
This is of course not to discourage anyone who wants to expand their options to include vegetarian food without giving up meat. I respect it, is your choice.
The most important thing I am expecting from you is that you try out what I teach in your homes and share it with the community here.
Let us learn, get in touch!
If you have the passion for vegetarian food, I am here to teach you how to bring in South Indian Vegetarian into your life and home.