Thuppa or Ghee
- Medium Sized Pan
- Fine Sieve
- 600 grams Unsalted Butter 82% or higher fat content. Lesser fat means, more cooking time to get the water out and lesser output of the Thuppa or Ghee.
- Keep a medium sized pot on a slow flame.
- Once the pot becomes hot add the butter. Let it melt.
- Once you see a simmer in the melted butter, adjust the flame to as low as possible such that you still have a very mild visible simmering.
- You do not have to do much now other than keep an eye on the pot and let the water in it evaporate.
- Soon you will see the milk solids start to separate and float. And after some time they will start settling down.
- Once the milk solids settle down,you need to keep an eye on the pot. You will see the solids settled in the bottom start to brown. Allow as much solids to settle and brown. You will still find some floating stubbornly, and we do not need all of them to settle.
- Once most of the milk solids have browned visibly, pour out the Thuppa / Ghee onto another clean pot in which you can store it through a filter and drain out the solids. Once cooled it can solidify at room temperature and will have a golden colour.
- You have you Thuppa or Ghee! Store it in an airtight container, in the refrigerator and use it for weeks.
- Thuppa or Ghee is high in Poly and Mono Unstaurated fats, which is claimed to help protect from Cardiovascular diseases, improve cognitive function1.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn How it Works!
WHY SOUTH INDIAN?
South India is home to millions of people who have been vegetarians for more than 2000 years. I want to bring the richness of that to your kitchens and hope it makes you as happy as I am.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
While primary intention is to teach, websites, hosting a class all takes money. So I, along with the hosts have tried to keep the costs at a minimum. You can get the details by emailing me at email@example.com.
HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU?
If you want me to conduct a class for you, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the details and will get back to you.
Who is this for?
You’re Not Alone. And I’m Here to Help!
This is class is primarily for those who already are vegetarian or want to adopt that lifestyle. Very few other cuisines offer the kind of diversity that a South Indian Vegetarian kitchen does and I want to bring that to those who are passionate about being vegetarian and help enrich their lives.
This is of course not to discourage anyone who wants to expand their options to include vegetarian food without giving up meat. I respect it, is your choice.
The most important thing I am expecting from you is that you try out what I teach in your homes and share it with the community here.
Let us learn, get in touch!
If you have the passion for vegetarian food, I am here to teach you how to bring in South Indian Vegetarian into your life and home.